Thursday, March 11, 2010

Your Emergency Water Supply - Creating a Plan

n average our lives demand 30 gallons of water per person per day.Water is second only to air in terms of survival importance. I can go two weeks without food but only a matter of a couple of days without water. Creating a safe air supply in still on the drawing board so my Emergency Water Supply has to be my top priority.

When Would I Need My Emergency Water Supply
In all my preparations to start with I have tried to brainstorm under which scenarios would I need my water. Doing this allows me to create a fairly complete picture in my head of the kind of supply I need, what else I might need in addition.

One thing I have noticed with Emergency Preparedness is when thinking of scenarios my mind tends to go to the more dramatic (California will fall into the sea, terrorists will poison the water supply , nuclear explosions with contaminate the water table etc) but the more mundane possibilities tend to get overlooked.

For example I live on a well, so it is quite likely that the pump could break down, combine this with heavy snow, an industrial strike, personal sickness etc and the consequences are potentially huge.

How Much Do I Need
Well 30 gallons per person is completely not doable unless I want to fill a swimming pool. Experts suggest that you need to drink at least 2 liters of water per day. I live in Colorado so in high altitude I want to up that to between 2-3 liters, then that leaves another liter for cooking and washing - so I am calculating on 1 gallon of water per person per day.

Action Plan
So after working out how much I need and running through different scenarios I created a plan that I have compiled into the following four posts ( Click on each to take you to the post)


1) Emergency Water Supply – Creating a Plan
2) Existing Sources of Emergency Water in Your House
3) Emergency Water Storage for One Month
4)Creatng an Emergency Water Kit for Evacuation
5) Outside Sources of Emergency Water - Carrying and Filtering



Click Link to Read Next Post

0 comments:

Post a Comment