Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Creating a Emergency Water Kit for Evacuation

So I had the water in the house covered now I needed to think about what to do if we need to evacuate the house, perhaps on foot. Ideally I wanted enough water for my room mates (+1)for 3 days but water is extremely heavy so I had to settle for 1 gallon per person. I got a large storage bin on wheels from Lowe's and then put the following items in

• 3x2.5 gallon containers filled with water.
• 7 x 16 ounce water bottles
• Water filter (I avoid filters with infra red, UV systems because they have a chip/circuit board in them and therefore rendered useless in the event of an EMP (Click here for more info on EMPs)
• 4 Funnels (varying sizes)
• 2 Foldable water Carriers ( The kind used for camping)
• Tea bags
• Styrofoam cups
• Harder plastic cups
• Siphon (pump)
• Heat pack with stove for boiling water
• Pan - for boiling water
• Waterproof matches, and lighters
• Coffee filters - (explain later)
• White socks
• Empty Coke Bottle
• Water purification tablets
• Small note pad and pens - to keep track of who has had how much water

So here is my thinking. I have one gallon of water per person which could be enough for 2 days. The smaller bottles also contain water but will be used along with the funnels to ration out water amongst the group. The water carriers are in case we find a source of water and can fill up.
Tea, styrofoam cups, heat pack stove stand and pan are for having something hot to drink
Heat Pack, Stove and Pan are also to boil water for purification purposes.
Waterproof matches and lighters for lighting the stove.

Everything else can be used for filtering/purifying water which I explain in my post Filtering Water. Be sure that the bin is on wheels and that a smaller person could pull it along.

1) Emergency Water Supply – Creating a Plan
2) Existing Sources of Emergency Water in Your House
3) Emergency Water Storage for One Month
4)Creatng an Emergency Water Kit for Evacuation
5) Outside Sources of Emergency Water - Carrying and Filtering

0 comments:

Post a Comment